Just let me start by saying - Oh man this bread is delicious! I have adapted this recipe from 'The life-changing loaf of bread' from mynewroots.org - if you're looking for some seriously great recipes then jump over and have a look.
I have been making this bread for years now, in many different combinations, giving the recipe to friends, family and even patients back in my Physio days.
I love it because it's simple, oh so easy to make and is very skin friendly. Loaded with Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids, inherently gluten free thanks to the oats [if you have a gluten sensitivity make sure you use certified gluten free oats], refined sugar free and full of gut friendly fibre.
All of the ingredients are very easy to come by in your local supermarket - win win I say! I always use organic, locally sourced ingredients where possible.
1 cup flaxseeds
1 cup hemp seeds
1.5 cups rolled oats
2 Tbsp chia seeds
4 Tbsp psyllium seed husks
1 Tbsp raw honey
3 Tbsp melted organic grass fed butter or coconut oil
1 3/4 cups filtered water
Pinch of fine sea salt
1. In a separate bowl thoroughly mix all the dry ingredients.
2. Melt the grass fed butter or coconut oil and add the honey and water.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and give it a good mix.
4. Scoop mixture into a enamel loaf tin (lined with baking paper) or a silicon loaf pan and smooth out the top of the loaf.
5. Allow to sit on your kitchen bench for at least 2-8 hours (soaks up all the water and makes everything nice and plump)
6. Pre-heat oven to 175 degrees celsius, bake in loaf tin for 20 minutes, then remove from pan and place upside down on a baking tray and cook for a further 40 minutes. The loaf is ready when it's a lovely golden colour and crunchy on the outside.
7. Allow the bread to cool before slicing. Store in an airtight container for approximately 5 days...it never lasts that long in our house. Or slice and place in the freezer.
I think this bread is the ultimate toasted with a dollop of grass fed butter smashed roast pumpkin, rocket and feta or smashed avocado or simply covered in grass fed butter and dripping with raw honey (that's my toddlers absolute favourite!) come to think of it it's pretty bloody great toasted with anything on top.
Hope you enjoy :)